Friday, December 13, 2013

days > 120 -- familiarizing

advice for future exchange students #17:
you will eventually get to the point where you feel that you belong,
that this is your normal life,
but that point comes mostly when you belong in your group of friends.

I came to a funny conclusion the other day.
I have a very strange collection of various acquaintances and friend groups.
There is my Swiss class friends, and my exchange student friends here, and my exchange student friends at home, and the elderly people who are in my choir, and my debate friends and my church friends and my youth group friends and my siblings and the people who have known me forever.
it's a rather surprising mix. in fact, if you think about it, a lot of my friends would not get along with each other very well.

but the more types of people i meet,
the more i realize that they are just that... people. 
and that we all look to connect with each other.

things that have happened in the past 10-ish days:
  • the upperlevel classes of Gymnasium are taking Matura this week, so all of our classes looked slightly different. This means that we ended up watching Pitch Perfect and Les Mis in class. It was cool.
  • Also I ate "Asian food" in Basel, Switzerland.
  • It was pretty awful, unfortunately. someone please send me the Portland foodcarts? I will love you forever and ever if you do.
  • The days come and I'm realizing that our newbies are coming soon. Which also makes me realize that I have a little over half my exchange left. I'm still not exactly sure where the rest of it went.
  • Rotary Christmas Dinner was lovely! I heard a blind singer and a lot of very classical music... but it wasn't bad, and it was nice to meet all the Rotarians :) Plus I have a new counselor who I happened to meet as well.
  • I've gotten the opportunity to read some German books from my library... and guess what, I can understand them! But really, books exercise a completely different sort of vocabulary than speaking in normal conversation, so it's been good for me to read.
  • I am writing in German. As you can see here. It's far from perfect, but it's a huge jump from what I could do three or four months ago (read: nothing). Also, ich bin stolz auf mich :)
and that's all for right now...
tschüss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts? comments? questions? feedback? if you have anything (or nothing) to say, i'd love to hear from you! ♥