Tuesday, September 10, 2013

days > 30 -- learning

advice for future exchange students #9:
be fluent in the language already.

okay, well, maybe that won't work. 
but do work on the language as much as possible.
trust me, it's a good idea.

things that have happened in the past 10 days:

  • I ended Deutsch Kurs. We had a very long test at the end of the four weeks, but thankfully it wasn't that hard and I passed as the second best of my class, which was a nice surprise.
  • I started school. Yaaayyyyyyyyyyyy! (oh yeah. there'll be a post about that later. hopefully. i think. we'll see. maybe if I have time.)
  • I went to my little sister's school. Her classmates were adorable and helpful and very willing to talk to me. I probably learned more that day than I did in a week of German course. Note to self: children are amazing for learning a language.
  • I went to Pilatus, which is a really tall mountain in Luzern. It's absolutely gorgeous. I also roamed the streets of Luzern with my host family, which was pretty cool.
  • Swimming in the Rhine. end of story.
  • I heard my first yodeling! This was interesting.
  • My hosting Rotary club met with a Rotary club from Germany on the weekend, so I came too. It involved food, boats, walking, and a lot of people commenting on how good my German is. This naturally made me very happy. Unfortunately, many of them concluded that I was fluent and proceeded to speak German to me all the time. I felt really guilty every time I couldn't understand what they were saying...
  • I realized that my English is getting worse. Occasionally I'll find myself speaking English in German grammar, or spelling things wrong, or not remembering a perfectly average word. This confuses me.
  • I realized that I have lost a good bit of my Spanish and Chinese. This also confuses me.
this was a rather random and rambling post. sorry. ich hoffe dass die nachste Mal wird besser sein.

tschuess, ciao, adieu, adios, zai jian, goodbye, and whatever else floats your boat,
hannah

1 comment:

  1. Tickled that you're getting to learn another language, and proud of you for working hard to learn German and jumping into Swiss culture with both feet.

    ReplyDelete

thoughts? comments? questions? feedback? if you have anything (or nothing) to say, i'd love to hear from you! ♥